AB 540 & AB 2000 & SB 68

AB 540

What is AB 540?

AB 540 exempts certain students from paying nonresident tuition (higher than resident tuition) and allows them to apply for certain types of financial aid through the California Dream Act.

What are the requirements for AB 540?

Students must meet all four (4) requirements to be eligible:


  1. Time and coursework requirements
    • Attendance for three full-time years or the equivalent at any combination of the following:
      • California high school
      • California adult school (including non-credit courses offered by a California community college)
      • California community college (maximum of two years of credit courses can count toward this requirement)
    • OR: Three years of California high school credits, along with three years of total attendance at aCalifornia elementary school, California secondary school, or any combination of the two.
  2. Degree or unit requirements (completion of either of the following):
    • Graduation from a California high school or the equivalent (GED, HiSET, TASC, CHSPE)
    • Attainment of an Associate degree from a California Community College
    • Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements from a California Community College to a UC or CSU campus
  3. Register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university
  4. Submit a signed “Non-Resident Exemption” Request (also known as the AB 540 affidavit)
    • This form states that you meet all the requirements to qualify for a non-resident exemption under AB 540 and, if you are undocumented, that you are in the process of legalizing your immigration status (or will do so as soon as you are eligible to do so). The affidavit can be found at Admissions & Records. Return the filled out form to Admissions & Records.

What type of financial aid do AB 540 students qualify for?

AB 540 students are eligible to apply for the California Dream Act (CADA). CADA allows undocumented and nonresident students to receive certain types of financial aid such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants. Learn more about CADA here.

What colleges or universities are available for AB 540 students?

AB 540 students can apply to any community college, four-year university, private university or vocational school. However, public and private institutions offer financial aid and scholarships based on different criteria.

Where can I get the AB 540 Affidavit? (AKA Non-Resident Exemption Request)

The affidavit can be found at Admissions & Records. You must use the form provided by Fullerton College.

Is the AB 540 affidavit confidential?

Yes, the information provided in the AB 540 affidavit is confidential and will not be shared with ICE or USCIS under California law.

Does the AB 540 law change a student’s immigration status?

No, the AB 540 law only waives a student from paying non-resident tuition prices.

Need help filling out your AB 540 form?

AB 2000

What is AB 2000?

Assembly Bill 2000 passed in 2014 and it expands the definition of students eligible for AB 540 allowing a larger undocumented population to qualify for resident tuition prices.

SB 68

What is SB 68?

Assembly Bill 68 passed in 2017. This public postsecondary education exemption from nonresident tuition was approved by the governor and filed with the Secretary of State on October 5, 2017. This legislation amended Education Code, section 68130.5, changing the criteria for students eligible for a nonresident tuition exemption, as previously defined in Assembly Bill 540 (2001). Senate Bill 68 expands the requirements of AB 540/ AB 2000 to include attendance at California Community Colleges and attainment of an associate’s degree.